A family of four staying in a Northern Arizona cabin was found dead on New Year’s Day, and the Coconino County Sheriff’s Department believes the family died of possible carbon monoxide poisoning.
Police say the bodies of the Arizona family, including those of two young children, were discovered Monday in the small town of Parks. A friend of the family called the police after they didn’t return several phone calls. A deputy says she smelled the gas when she approached the home.
Police have identified the family from El Mirage as 32-year-old Anthony and Meaghan Capitano, 4-year-old Lincoln and 3-year-old Kingsley Capitano.
Coconino County Sheriff’s Office spokesman Jon Paxton says the best way to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning is with a detector.
"You can simply put them in an outlet. In addition to that, it’s always a good idea to have your furnace checked either yearly or biyearly," Paxton said.
More than 400 Americans die of carbon monoxide poisoning each year. And about 20,000 people go to the emergency room with it, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.